Destinations in the Region
Excursion Tips for your Holiday in the Province of Salzburg
If you’re not exploring the Hohe Tauern National Park by bike or hike, or have already pocketed enough gold while gold panning, the region has even more to offer. A plurality of exciting and diverse destinations will make your summer holiday with us anything but boring!
We’ve compiled some particularly interesting destinations for you:
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road: Discover and experience Austria’s most spectacular alpine road.
- Krimml Waterfalls: Austria’s only natural monument awarded a European diploma – the tallest European waterfall with a total height of over 300 m.
- Dam power plant Kaprun: The dam power plant and mountain reservoirs are an exciting destination promising visitors breathtaking views.
- Eisriesenwelt Werfen: Visit the largest ice caves on Earth and witness a unique spectacle of nature.
- National park centre Mittersill: Experience natural spectacle in the national park centre with its unique wildlife, myths and fairy tales.
- City of Mozart Salzburg: A city full of culture, sights and a unique attitude towards life.
- Liechtenstein Gorge: One of the most beautiful, deepest and longest gorges of the Alps.
- Zell am See: The mountain town with its gorgeous mountain backdrop and unique charm is only 30 km away.
- Hallein salt mine: One of the oldest exhibition mines in the world is located above the picturesque town Hallein on the Dürrnberg, south of the city of Salzburg.
- Hohenwerfen Castle: Look forward to a diverse and glamourous sight with a great variety of entertainment and offerings in the form of this 900-year-old fortress.
Excursion tips for your holiday in the Raurisertal
- Alpine game reserve Bucheben: Here you can observe deer, does and ibexes in the beautifully designed alpine game reserve.
- Valley end Kolm Saigurn: Here you enjoy the amazing view of the impressive 3,000-m-peaks Sonnblick, Schareck and Hocharn in untouched nature. The Barbara waterfall, the national park museum "Zimmererhütte" and the excellent valley end inns make your day in Kolm Saigurn perfect.
- Valley museum Rauris: Experience the culture and history of Raurisertal in 16 fondly staged showrooms.
- The primeval Rauris forest: This naturally-kept block fall forest with over 80 small tarns and lakes grants you unforgettable insights into the past of alpine vegetation.
- Flower hiking trails: Experience the extraordinary abundance of flowers and herbs in Raurisertal on the flower hiking trails "Wastlalm" and "Karalm".
- The bird of prey station Hochalm: Be enchanted by the usually shy owls and birds of prey with the Hohe Tauern National Park as an imposing backdrop.
- Rauriser UrQuell: Discover the spring paradise in the Hinteres Rauriser Hüttwinkltal after just a 30-minute walk. The small round tour starting at the Rauriser UrQuell leads you to numerous waterfalls, tarns and drinking water fountains.
- Rauriser Literaturtage: The Rauris days of literature take place annually. Find details of the programme and a lot of other information on the homepage of the Rauriser Literaturtage.